Sunday, February 10, 2013

more donuts. yes, more donuts.

Another amazing find from the gals at A Beautiful Mess...grapefruit donuts!! Emma is a genius. This combines two of my favorite breakfast foods! I had to try it.


My recipe was a combination of Emma's (which are fried, traditional donuts...didn't want to get addicted to fried/homemade donuts!) and the baked French donut recipe that I've been making. Here's what I did. (And here, again, is a link to the donut pan I LOVE!)

BAKED GRAPEFRUIT DONUTS

FOR DONUTS:
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups flour (I did half cake flour and half almond flour, to add a little protein - I like finely ground, Honeyville Almond Flour for all of my baking)
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 3/8 cup milk (I used almond milk, but any will do - coconut might upset the flavor though)
  • 1/8 cup grapefruit juice
  • 1 tbsp grapefruit zest
FOR GLAZE:

  • 2 3/4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup grapefruit juice
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat donut pan generously with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
  2. Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add egg; mix well.
  3. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg together. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk and grapefruit juice. Mix in grapefruit zest.
  4. Fill donut tins half full. Bake 15-20 minutes. Take out of pan immediately and cool on a rack. (I like to use a tiny spatula and coax them out!)
  5. While donuts cool, whisk together ingredients for the glaze, making sure to whisk until smooth and slightly thick, with no clumps of sugar. 
  6. Place a cookie sheet covered with wax paper under the rack. Making sure donuts are completely cooled, dip them in the glaze and replace on rack. Let glaze set for a few minutes before dipping a second or third time, if you wish. Due to the porous nature of these donuts (because they are cake-y and baked, they will soak up the glaze quite a bit. Dip as many times as you like, keeping this in mind).
  7. Makes 6 super yummy, tart, fruity donuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment